Prof. Shie-Yuan Wang
Presentation of operating system principle, design, implementation, and evaluation. Discussion of recent research. Overview of research techniques and methodology. With a focus on building Internet-related systems such as Web server, proxy, or dispatcher. In this course, you will:
- Learn how to do system research
- Learn how to criticize other people's work and be a good reviewer
- Learn system principle and concept
- Trace and learn UNIX system design and implementation
- Have hand-on design and implementation experiences
- "Introduction to Operating Systems" or equivalent.
- "Computer Network" or equivalent.
- ICP5565 Reading List
- The Design and Implementation of the 4.4 BSD Operating System, Marshall Kirk McKusick, Keith Bostic, Michael J. Karels andJohn S. Quarterman, 1996. (main)
- Unix Internals: The New Frontiers , Uresh Vahalia , 1996. (main)
- Operating System Concepts, Fifth Edition , Abraham Silberschatz and Peter Baer Galvin ,1999.
- Distributed Operating System , Andrew S. Tanenbaum , 1995.
- The Art of Computer Systems Performance Analysis: Techniques for Experimental Design, Measurement, Simulation, and Modeling, Raj Jain , 1991. (A copy of the referenced chapters is stored in the EC414 copy room.)
- An Engineering Approach to Computer Networking , S. Keshav , 1997. (A copy of the referenced chapters is stored in the EC414 copy room.)
- Understanding the Linux Kernel, Daniel P. Bovet & Macro Cesati, O’Reilly, 2001.